Detroit - Wildsam Field Guide - Second Edition
"Detroit: Second Edition (Wildsam City Guides)" by Taylor Bruce
Wildsam Field Guides: Detroit leads travelers into the storied and complex Michigan city with expert guidance from locals.
Contributors include journalists, entrepreneurs, a poet laureate, barber, Motown legend, bartenders, makers and artists, among others. Topics in the handsome volume include Berry Gordy, ice hockey, blight, the history of automobiles, race riots, Prohibition, urban farming and more. Readers will discover local stories, travel intel and modern lore, including:
- Hit records, from Aretha Franklin to the Stooges;
- A conversation about architecture and urban renewal;
- Select works from renowned Detroit poets;
- An interview with filmmaker Dream Hampton;
- An illustrated map of the future;
- Classic automobiles designed and built in Detroit;
- The seven best old-school neighborhood bars;
- The best diners, jazz clubs, burger joints and more;
- How press reacted to Diego Rivera's murals in the 1930s; and
- An interview with a boxing champion.
Built on ingenuity and grit, Detroit is more than a comeback story; what's unfolding is an urban renaissance, with thriving small businesses that point to a future city alive and well.
Paperback: 131 Pages
Dilla Time - The life and afterlife of J Dilla
"Dilla Time- the life and afterlife of J Dilla" by Dan Charnas"This book is a must for everyone interested in illuminating the idea of unexplainable genius.” ―QUESTLOVEEqual parts biography, musicology,...
The Art of Collaboration and Innovation
"The Art of Collaboration and Innovation" by Albert Kahn Associates For 125 years, Albert Kahn and Associates, Inc. has committed to designing and engineering innovative facilities that surpass the needs of...
Detroit Tiki: A History of Polynesian Palaces and Tropical Cocktails
"Detroit Tiki: A History of Polynesian Palaces and Tropical Cocktails" by Renee Tadey When the South Sea craze swept over the nation in the mid-twentieth century, the wave of island-themed...